Saturday, June 20, 2015

Pet Scan Number Two

Pet scan number two is over and complete! This pet scan was a lot different from the first one mainly because it was done locally at our regular hospital. But one similarity? I had Risa to be my 'before' prep person again. And she even brought me a puppy for the way there!


I think pet scans and puppies should just go hand in hand. Especially puppies that tiny!!

But back to this pet scan. It's a traveling pet scan! It's a medical circus folks!


Isn't that crazy? The entire process took place on there. The sides pop out like a camper and they drive from hospital to hospital. They injected me with their fancy contrast first and then made me chill out for an hour in this cozy armchair:


I think it was way better than the hospital room at Baycare. There I was closed up in a bed in a dark hospital room. This was just being reclined in the armchair. It was not as depressing. 

After that it was time to get scanned. My anxiety level didn't hit peak point until I was actually in the machine. The machine looks a bit like a spaceship with a grumpy cat riding it:



For those of you that haven't had Pet scans they go something like this: you lay down on the little bed, they cover you with blankets (because the rooms are always freezing,) and put this weird giant belt over you. It's the same material they make you wear for X-rays. Then once you're strapped in the bed it moves slowly inside the scanner starting at your feet and working it's way to your head. It gets a bit freaky at that middle point when it seems like your nose is gonna touch the scanner. Very claustrophobic! Once my head was in the middle I had to do some deep breathing.

It's hard not to go into that, "This isn't fair. This isn't how I should be spending my Saturday morning." Those thoughts are negative downward spirals and should be avoided at all costs. I am lucky that I am still alive to get angry about the lack of fairness of life. At least I get to be cancer free now. That's not something everyone gets to be and I'm grateful. 

So I made it, scanxiety and all. I won't have to have another scan for three months. So far the typical post care plan is scan and bloodwork every three months. So Monday we get the results and meet with the doctor to talk about taking this port out!!!


PET scan grumpy cat selfie! One more step down!

No comments:

Post a Comment