Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Free Stuff For Cancer Patients! Sharing some resources!

In my post yesterday I mentioned that huge statistic.

The one where one in two men will get cancer. One in three women.

I've become aware this week at how many readers my blog has generated.

Now with statistics like that there's a good chance a fellow survivor (my self help books designate you as a survivor the instant you are diagnosed) will stumble upon this blog.

Or that one of you readers know someone (other than me) that has cancer.

Or will know someone that has cancer.

So on that note, I think it's super helpful to include all the wonderful things I have come across or I have been told about. We call these cancer perks. Cancer encouragement. Cancer freebies.

Utilize these. Enjoy them. We have to get something out of this rotten deal, right?

Your List of Awesome Cancer Perks

1. The Look Good Feel Better class hosted by the American Cancer Society.

This class was the best. I got a giant bag of designer makeup and a free wig. The ladies were super nice and I got to meet some other lovely ladies. Seriously, it's probably the best perk I've been offered so far. I look forward to doing my makeup every day now! Which is especially a perk now that my hair has taken an exit.


This is more a moral support and encouragement thing. I just signed up so I don't have a whole lot of insight yet on it. But it sounds great. Basically you are hooked up with a Chemo Angel and they send you little things in the mail to help keep your spirits up during treatment.


This organization will send you a tote bag filled with encouragement items and you can sign up for support notifications (similar to the Chemo Angel site) to receive while you go through treatment. The tote bag looks pretty cool so I'm excited to see what it's in it when it comes. 


Now this is pretty sweet. This site checks to see if any cleaning companies in your area are partnered with them. If they are: you get a free cleaning service for part of your treatment! Woohoo! But sadly, the small little town of Manitowoc does not have anyone that participates in this. So no free maid for me. But maybe for you! So check!


This foundation sends you a collection of free hats! You get to tell them what type of hats you are diggin' (baseball hat, beanie, ugly knit hat, silky hat, whatever) and they will send you some brand new hats. And they're based out of Wisconsin so that's neat.


I am STOKED about this one and I will be haunting my mail waiting for this to come. The scarves on this website are gorgeous and you get one free scarf to cover that little egg of yours. And they are actually CUTE. I will have to post a picture of mine when it comes.


While this website is aimed at people with breast cancer- these hats are for any lady undergoing chemotherapy. And they're pretty funny. Baseball hats with a bald chick on them- what could be better? 

So here's a good start. There's plenty more out there. Breast cancer patients seem to get the best hookup which is fair. If you or someone you know gets diagnosed with breast cancer give 'breast cancer freebies' a Google and you will find TONS of awesome free stuff. 

These are mostly free things you get in the mail. I didn't even include all the financial/insurance assistance and travel help that is out there. Here's a nifty little page that lists some various ones. 

Just Google the crap out of free cancer stuff.

Get yourself some freebies, we deserve it.

Because believe me- I'd rather have my hair than a free scarf. 

But I do think Grumpy Cat is pulling off the scarf look quite nicely. 

3 comments:

  1. Grumpy Cat looks fabulous in your scarf! Great resources. Another of my friends was diagnosed and is having surgery this week. Will share with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your friend! Yes, please share these with her. There's tons out there besides these too!

      Delete