Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Day One of Chemo!

Well the first day of chemo has been uneventful so far. Everything is going good. Almost finished with the first dose of the Rituxan and had no allergic reactions. Just felt really sleepy but that was it! We'll be starting the Doxy, Vincristine, and Etoposide any minute now and we'll be cruising on our way.

It's easier to be going through this now that we have those awesome x-ray results. At least I know the treatment is working and all this hell is worth it. Definitely improves my attitude on things. I finally have the technical terms down since I've recently been on a Googling mission. The technical term for my type of chemotherapy treatment is DA (dose adjusted) R-EPOCH. I have no idea how they come up with these abbreviations but that's the technical term.

Update: I found out what the abbreviations stand for: DA-EPOCH-R (dose-adjusted etoposide/vincristine/doxorubicin/bolus cyclophosphamide/prednisone) and rituximab.

Yikes, that's a mouthful. Some are steroids and the rest are the actual chemotherapy drugs I get. Crazy huh?

And in my Googling I found out some interesting information! It is possible to get this type of chemotherapy outpatient. Basically, you get things done during the day at the clinic and then they send you home with a little backpack thing that has your pump and chemo in it so you don't have to stay in the hospital!

YAHOOOO! So the next chemotherapy treatment we are going to try the outpatient method. Which I am STOKED about. These hospital stays were starting to make me lose my mind. Really it is better for everyone.

Yesterday we tried to have a fun 'last day before chemo' afternoon so my mom and I took Adrian to see the Easter bunny in Green Bay. I love doing holiday stuff with that little guy- it makes me so happy. We also have a routine of finding those little photo booths and taking pictures. I think the one we got yesterday was excellent.


Next time we'll have to do dinosaurs. Those things are so cool. 

I brought some projects this time around to try to keep my hands busy so I don't go insane. I decided to try crocheting! I'm going to attempt to make Adrian a blanket. I'm not very domestic as far as crafts go so we'll see if it turns out actually looking like a blanket.

So far so good, not feeling too crappy yet just sleepy. Third treatment on the way and just three more to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment