Saturday, April 25, 2015

Mmmm blood!

Well, we had some issues the past few days kids but thanks to science (yay science!) it's being resolved.

My white blood cells, red blood cells, and hemoglobin levels (I always think goblins when I hear this word) dropped waaaaay low.

So my doctor recommended a blood transfusion to replace my red blood cells and boost everything up.

Yup. A big ole bag of blood.

Where does this blood come from?!


Oooooohhhh duh. I was all thinking corpse blood from some reason. I read too much sci-fi. 

Nothing like some good ole blood to perk you up. The things you never realized you'd have to go through during chemotherapy. So far my counts have been pretty decent up until this point. My body is just getting worn down from so many doses. But at least I'm almost done and I don't have to be hospitalized for chemotherapy anymore. That's a bright spot. 

Seriously, the blood transfusion was kind of gross.


Oh and my blood type is A negative. Isn't this picture sick? It's like something out of a vampire movie. I like how it says volunteer donor on the bag. Like what other kind would it be? 'Taken by force?' 'Donated by vampires?' 'Stolen by nurse ninjas?'

There are some risks with blood transfusions but they're rare and minimal. I was a little nervous at first but after they started it I mellowed out. It's way better than the chemotherapy I get pumped through my chest veins right? It only took about two hours to pump it in and I had no weird reactions or anything. 


Ewwww- look at it go!! Pretty gross. But I'm already feeling more energy so yay for donated blood! Thanks random donor from Milwaukee! (I asked where they get the blood from, of course)

Now we're just waiting for the cat scan on Monday and we'll have the results by the middle of the week. Since the tumor doesn't show up on the chest x-ray we're anticipating good news. :) I can't wait to hear a percentage. Like it's 80% gone... 90% gone...something like that. 

My mouth sores are starting to clear up a little bit today too so I was able to choke some pizza down. By tomorrow I should be able to eat normal food which means I'm going to want a TON OF FOOD THAT IS NOT PUDDING.

So I had my first epic and real vampire moment and no Edward. I would have thought he'd smell the blood and come hang out with me at the doctor. 


It's probably because it was donated blood and not mine. He loves me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment