Monday, April 13, 2015

Portable chemo for the win!

Well today was a long haul at the chemo clinic getting everything set up for this at home chemo business. The day started off rough because my port was deciding not to give blood. Which means that the veins aren't flowing in the right way. Or something. Nothing serious to worry about though. Had to be poked over and over and over again so I was not a happy camper. I'm not a pincushion people. First power tools and now this. But we finally got underway and my bloodwork looks awesome.

We ran the first round of chemotherapy (the Rituxan) in the clinic, pumped me up full of premeds, fluids, and I went through my 'pump' training.

Check this thing out:



Pretty cool! It'd be even better in pink but even so it's not too bad. It has a long strap and a short one so I can wear it like a shoulder bag or a crossbody. Or a fanny pack but we don't do that around here. No fanny packs for me!

So all three of my chemo drugs are in here along with some fluids. I'll report back to the clinic every day to get a new bag, and more fluids and be on my way again! I am so ecstatic not to have to stay in the hospital anymore. This is beyond awesome. Definitely has boosted my morale BIG TIME. 

That's one big bag:


So day one is underway! At home now and can enjoy the sunshine (as I hide underneath five pounds of sunscreen and umbrellas) with my kiddo. Sunshine and chemo patients aren't supposed to mix which sucks. I noticed my freckles are getting seriously out of hand. They match the auburn wig so whateves.

Apparently I am the first person at the Two Rivers clinic to get the out-patient DA R EPOC chemotherapy treatment. I'm glad I spoke up to my doctor- if other clinics all over the place are doing it, why not here too? Maybe I started a chemo revolution.

That's all for now! My CAT scan is all scheduled for after this treatment so we can see a more detailed progress so excited for that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment