Friday, February 13, 2015

Chemotherapy: Day One

So far I've been lucky or perhaps the drugs haven't taken the time to really work into my system. The chemotherapy has been pretty easy. Contrary to what I believed beforehand the first round of chemo did NOT make my hair follicles fly out of my head. So that's good news. Nor have I started on fire. Grumpy cat is enjoying all the posing opportunities.

Grumpy Cat Chilling with my Chemo

I felt like I came close to starting on fire though. The first round of the chemotherapy they did, I was warned of a possible allergic reaction some patients have. And of courssssse, I reacted to it. All of a sudden I was sitting peacefully (after the nice calming meds they plunged into my heart tubes) and BAM.

ITCH ITCH ITCH ITCH. It was like having mosquito bites all over your body including the inside of your ears and your throat. ITCH it all!

My entire body broke out in hives and I had the worst kind of itches. Itchy, itchy, itchy!!! So horrible.

But thankfully, they stopped the chemo. Administered some very, very happy drugs and I completely passed out for the entire afternoon so they could finish up on that chemo drug. Grumpy cat went for a nice walk.

Grumpy Cat among the foliage 
So now I have reached a high point of restlessness. I am now on chemo drugs 2 and 3 which will be fed through my chest tubes for 24 hours. And went on a very inappropriate cancer chemotherapy selfie session around the floor. I am limited to the confines of the first floor but tomorrow I might have to break free (with permission, of course) to further my shenanigans.

 So I did a few laps with my awesome IV leash. Being hooked up to this just makes me want to cause some cancer fueled mischief. But the chance for mischief is relatively low. Probably no chance of making a quirky chemo friend. Pretty sure I am the youngest person here which was evident when I saw the sad eyeballs of all the nurses when I first came in. The nurses have been absolutely sweet and wonderful- no issues whatsoever. I met with my nutritionist and she said I can still eat all my junk food so that literally made my day. I might just have to take a bath in taco dip to celebrate. All I need to do is majorly AMP up the protein. Now since I'm a veggie that'll mean just adding yogurt, Boost shakes, yogurt, nuts, etc. to every meal. Should be doable. So YAY for pizza.

But all in all I make chemo look good!

I feel very sporty.
So a few laps around the chemo floor made me realize that I do not have much freedom to roam. So I have a feeling I might be going pretty stir crazy during this whole process. Thankfully, there have been no Exorcist style reactions to the chemo like I expected. My head has not started spinning and projectile vomiting everywhere. So the Google searches were wrong on that. At least so far. I'll be sure to get a picture if I turn into the girl from the Exorcist. Then I will need a young priest and an old priest.

Either way, doing good kids. Minimal side effects so far. The chemo drug I'm hooked up to now causes the hair loss and I can't help but glare at it with an irrational mean girl hate. But it's cool. I have a big blog post coming up on the hair thing but I'm saving that for when I have time to really center myself and write about it. I have lots to say on the subject and I need to make sure I say it right.

Anyways, I'll be good and try not to escape the confines of my chemo floor... Grumpy cat has other ideas but I'm trying to keep him in check. 

Free meeeeee!

4 comments:

  1. boo for allergic reactions. but i'm glad to hear that the first day went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It wasn't too bad. Today was a bit more rough but we'll get through it. :) I'm just starting to go stir crazy.

      Delete
  2. Allergies. Nope. *Grumpy Cat face*
    Junk food, yay!

    ReplyDelete